Chilli Clam Spaghetti
Baked Seafood Pie
Ingredients (serves 6)
- 60g butter, chopped
- 1 large leek, white part only, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup (35g) plain flour
- 1 1/2 cups (375ml) milk
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- 600g ocean trout, skinned, cut into 4cm cubes
- 500g thick white boneless fish fillets, cut into 3cm cubes
- 700g medium green prawns, peeled, deveined
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, coarsely chopped
- 6 sheets puff pastry
- Melt butter in a saucepan over low-medium heat. Add leek and cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes or until very soft. Add flour and stir until well combined and bubbling. Remove pan from heat and slowly add milk, stirring continuously. Return pan to heat and stir continuously until sauce boils and thickens. Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice. Cool.
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Add seafood, egg and parsley to sauce then season to taste with salt and white pepper. Spoon 1 1/2 cups seafood mixture into each of 6, 2-cup-capacity ovenproof dishes.
- Using a small plate as a guide, cut a 16cm round from each sheet of pastry. Place a pastry round over each bowl then press edges to sides of dishes to secure. Brush with beaten egg then place dishes on 2 oven trays. Bake pies for 20 minutes, swapping trays halfway through cooking, or until pastry is golden. Serve.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups fresh white breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon lemon pepper (see note)
- 700g whiting fillets (see note), bones and skin removed
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 40g butter, chopped
- 4 hot dog buns, split, toasted
- 80g baby rocket
- Half a Cup of Tartare Sauce
- Preheat oven to 150°C. Place flour on a plate. Lightly beat eggs in a shallow bowl. Combine breadcrumbs and lemon pepper on a plate.
- Coat fish, 1 fillet at a time, in flour. Dip into egg, followed by breadcrumb mixture, gently pressing crumbs on with your fingertips. Transfer to a large plate.
- Heat oil and butter in a large, non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Cook fish, in batches, for 2 minutes each side or until cooked through. Transfer to a baking tray. Keep warm.
- Top hot dog bun bases with rocket, fish fillets, tartare sauce and bun tops. Serve with chips and lemon wedges.
- You can find lemon pepper in the spice aisle of your supermarket.
- You could replace the whiting with any firm white fish, such as ling.
- Oven-baked chips and lemon wedges, to serve